For students to learn about water problems in Bolivia and the link to climate change.
LINKS TO THE CURRICULUM
Junior Cycle: Strand 1. Communicative Competence, linked to 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 and Strand 3: Socio-
cultural knowledge and intercultural awareness, linked to 3.1, 3.2
Senior Cycle: III. Cultural awareness 2, 4, 5
Divide the students into groups and give them the readings* (more than one group can have the same information). Ask them to read them and to answer the following questions:
- Name two aspects of the village mentioned in the reading (such as population, location, weather…).
- What is the main problem caused by climate change?
- How many people were affected by the problem?
- Summarise in your own words (in English) the main points of the reading.
PRACTISE YOUR SPANISH
After reading and answering the questions, students can present what they read to the rest of the class in Spanish.
CONNECTIONS WITH IRELAND AND TAKING ACTION
The main problems of water in Bolivia are related to climate change. What we be done from Ireland to reduce the impact on climate change? How is Ireland being affected by climate change?
Encourage students to link with youth activism on climate in Ireland by connecting to Fridays for Future at https://www.fridaysforfuture.ie
Other climate related activities in Ireland can be explored at:
Extinction Rebellion Ireland https://extinctionrebellionireland.com
Stop Climate Chaos https://www.stopclimatechaos.ie
* We thank the Democracy Centre/TerraJusta from Cochabamba in Bolivia, for allowing us to use these readings