LASC is seeking a Coordinator (part-time)
LASC (Latin America Solidarity Centre) is a membership-based organisation. We are individuals who share a passion for real social change in Latin America and Ireland, and we believe that peace with justice and equality for all can come only through genuine participation of everyone in society’s decision making.
The main objective of the organization is to promote solidarity and achieve greater support in Ireland for those individuals, groups and communities in Latin America that seek to create a fair, inclusive and sustainable world. The organization seeks to achieve this outcome by challenging and exposing injustice, linking struggles against injustice in Latin America to wider global issues, drawing lessons for Irish society, and exchanging knowledge and experience. The methods that we use include: a) the provision of Development Education programmes in the formal and informal sectors; b) raising awareness through talks, articles and other media output; c) organizing events that showcase Latin American culture; d) arranging visits to Ireland by members of grassroots organisations in Latin America; e) forging links with the Latin American community in Ireland.
This is a part-time position (20 hours per week).
Salary: Between €30,000 and €32,000 annually (pro-rata)
The person should be available to start in April.
Areas of responsibility:
- The Coordinator will report to the Management Committee.
- The Coordinator will support the work of LASC and projects undertaken by the Centre. The main areas of responsibility are Office Management and Development Education.
- Regarding Office Management, he/she will be responsible for:
- Overseeing daily office administration and implementing effective administration systems;
- Managing the finances of the Centre and ensuring that the organisation runs within its budget guidelines, in conjunction with the Treasurer and Administrator;
- Coordinating the preparation and follow-up of budgets;
- Applying and reporting to funding organisations for LASC’s ongoing activities;
- Assisting with volunteer recruitment, training, support, supervision and work allocation, in conjunction with the Management Committee;
- Representing the Centre to other bodies and in public relations and communications;
- Attending Management Committee meetings and reporting to the Committee;
- Regarding Development Education, he/she will be responsible for overseeing and ensuring the successful implementation of a project funded by Irish Aid. Specifically he/she will:
- Organise training for youth trainers;
- Lead the organisation of courses on Latin American Development Issues (within and outside Dublin);
- Lead the organisation of the annual Latin America Week series of events;
- Play a prominent role in supporting the implementation of action outcomes, including awareness-raising, learning through action, and promoting solidarity between Ireland and Latin America;
- The Coordinator will share responsibility, in common with all LASC staff, for:
- Making LASC a welcoming environment for people who drop in;
- Providing a supportive working environment for LASC volunteers;
- Maintaining the office in a clean and orderly condition;
- Answering the phone – all calls to be logged- and responding to emails;
- Arranging for visiting Latin Americans to be accommodated;
- Maintain LASC’s event calendar.
- The Coordinator will carry out such alternative duties as may be assigned by the Management Committee following consultation from time to time.
- Third-level qualification in a relevant area (Master’s Degree an advantage)
Experience / Knowledge:
- Ability to prioritise workload to deal with competing demands on time
- Experience in Development Education and the delivery of workshops
- Experience in funding applications and liaising with funders
- Good computer skills
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team
- Previous management experience is desirable
- Proficiency in English and working knowledge of Spanish
- Previous experience in managing budgets would be an advantage
- Experience of living in Latin America would be an advantage
- Familiarity with the non-profit sector in Ireland would be an advantage
To apply, send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 22nd, close of business.
Interviews expected to be taken on last week of March, and first week of April.