Click here to sign our petition.
Fyffes, Dundalk Football Club’s principal sponsor, has been at the centre of several shocking scandals involving labour rights violations, suppression of trade unions and abuse of workers in Honduras and Costa Rica. A 2015 report by the US Department of Labor detailed a litany of exploitative practices, ongoing labour code violations and ill-treatment of workers by the Fyffes subsidiary in Honduras, including:
- Failure to pay the minimum wage, the 13th and 14th month bonuses, the seventh day bonus, and overtime;
- Failure to provide personal protective equipment and potable water; imposed a 300 Honduran Lempira (US $14.40) penalty for missing a day of work in addition to that day’s salary;
- Threatening workers with dismissal for speaking with the Honduran Secretariat of Labour and Social Security (STSS)
We are calling for:
- Dundalk F.C., holding a moral responsibility as sponsorship partners of Fyffes, to demand that Fyffes respect worker’s rights to join an independent trade union and for unions to engage in collective bargaining.
- Supporters of Dundalk F.C. to join us in boycotting all Fyffes branded Dundalk F.C. merchandise.
- Dundalk F.C. to terminate their partnership with Fyffes should they fail to engage with trade unions to resolve outstanding issues of health and safety, unpaid wages and collective bargaining rights at plantations in Honduras within the 90-day deadline set down by the ETI.
More information can be found on our website.