For students to learn about water problems in Bolivia and the link to climate change.
Readings in Spanish* about water problems in Bolivia (click here).
LINKS TO THE CURRICULUM
Junior Cycle: Strand 1. Communicative Competence, linked to 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 and Strand 3: Socio-
cultural knowledge and intercultural awareness, linked to 3.1, 3.2
Senior Cycle: III. Cultural awareness 2, 4, 5
Divide the students into groups and give them the readings* (more than one group can have the same information). Ask them to read them and to answer the following questions:
- Name two aspects of the village mentioned in the reading (such as population, location, weather…).
- What is the main problem caused by climate change?
- How many people were affected by the problem?
- Summarise in your own words (in English) the main points of the reading.
PRACTISE YOUR SPANISH
After reading and answering the questions, students can present what they read to the rest of the class in Spanish.
CONNECTIONS WITH IRELAND AND TAKING ACTION
The main problems of water in Bolivia are related to climate change. What we be done from Ireland to reduce the impact on climate change? How is Ireland being affected by climate change?
Encourage students to link with Stop Climate Chaos (https://www.stopclimatechaos.ie) and explore some actions taking place in Ireland.
* We thank the Democracy Centre from Cochabamba in Bolivia, for allowing us to use these readings