For students to learn about the indigenous groups in Latin America that are at risk of extinction if they are contacted.
Facilities to play a video and questions.
LINKS TO THE CURRICULUM
Junior Cycle: Strand 1. Communicative Competence, linked to 1.4 and Strand 3: Socio-cultural knowledge and intercultural awareness, linked to 3.1, 3.2, 3.4.
Senior Cycle: II. Language awareness,2, 5 and III: Cultural awareness 5
Play the video from Survival International (in Spanish) and ask the questions below in English:
- What are the risks that these indigenous groups face if they get contacted?
- According to the video, who should take the decision of making contact?
- Why do governments not want to know if the groups have not been contacted before?
PRACTISE YOUR SPANISH
- The questions could be asked and answered in Spanish.
- Ask students to take note of words that they don’t understand in the video and help them understand the meaning.
- Since the video might be a bit difficult to understand for some levels, invite them to guess what it is about by the words they understand and the images.
CONNECTIONS WITH IRELAND AND TAKING ACTION
What actions can we take from Ireland to protect the Indigenous peoples in Latin America? Have a look at some of the active campaigns from Survival International (www.survivalinternational.org) or Guaraní-Kaiowá Solidarity Ireland (www.facebook.com/guaranikaiowaireland/)and explore possibilities for action.